Monday, December 14, 2015

Choosing Chicago Part 1

How I Chose a New City


 Spring 2015


For the first time in my life I was able to choose to live anywhere in the country, budget constraints non-withstanding. I was ready to leave Albuquerque and the desert southwest for literal greener pastures. Our daughter was graduating from high school soon. Our family home felt much too large. Pending a housing market rebound we were ready to sell. My husband’s work had shifted remote. He telecommuted to his job, a position he could hold anywhere with internet connection and a decent airport for work related travel.

We started to mull the possibilities. We decided we wanted to find an ideal neighborhood. Winthrop Quigley, columnist for the Albuquerque Journal, accurately describes the city as “a collection of mostly nondescript subdivisions connected by monotonous commercial strips, a concrete desert of very wide streets and hectares of parking lots.”

While the surrounding deserts and mountains are breathtaking, the city itself is endless miles of road paving, requiring the use of a vehicle to get anywhere. Rare is the Albuquerque neighborhood with people outside walking around. We were ready to find a neighborhood where walking is a normal daily activity, instead of having to go to a designated recreation trail.

We weren’t as concerned about our living arrangements, other than a commitment to downsize from our 1600 square foot house. We also noted our two car garage collected quite a bit of junk. Clutter seemed to spontaneously generate inside.

We pictured ourselves in the kind of place people talk about wanting to live these days. Somewhere we could comfortably walk to a nearby grocery or drug store. We would be able to ride our bicycles to run errands. We discussed getting rid of our only car, which would mean being close to other transportation options, allowing us to afford a more expensive place.

My husband’s checklist was short. He wanted to be near a major airport. Nearby Santa Fe was out, despite many other positives to recommend it. We also took into account air quality due to his asthma. That took places like Southern California off the list.

I was fussier. My biggest requirement was a body of water large enough for sailboats. Somehow three decades had slipped by without me sailing. Some more cities, such as Denver, were ruled out due to the lack of significant water.

As we discussed the possibilities in the summer of 2014, before her senior year, my daughter decided she wanted to travel across the country by train. She and I looked at the various Amtrak routes. She wanted to experience as many American cities as possible before starting the college application process. Since I was also conducting a search of my own, we decided the two of us would spend a couple weeks on the road.

My daughter contemplated whether she wanted to travel the East or West Coast from Albuquerque. We’d made some overnight train treks to Los Angeles and Chicago in the past. Both cities were almost equal distance from our home. However, while LA’s downtown is starting to revitalize, the city doesn’t have much in walking distance from the station. Either we’d need to rent a car or spend at least an hour on a bus or train getting to other areas of the city.

Traveling from LA we’d need to head up the coast for hours before we’d get to San Francisco. Portland and Seattle involved greater distances. Away from the coast the West has a whole lot of nothing to get through. My daughter decided we should head east.

Later, after our train trip, I would narrow our list of favorite cities down to a final three for my husband and me to choose. We have used the same method to pick a car. We decide the criteria, my husband researches the specifications, then presents me with three models from which to choose. We reversed roles for moving.

Seattle made my final three best cities list. On paper it seemed to have everything going for it, except one insurmountable problem. It was too far away. The travel distance was too great from our home, family, and where it looked like our daughter was most likely to go to college. While I’ve traveled most of the country, to this day I’ve never actually been to Seattle.


No comments:

Post a Comment